Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Jetty Walking....

Summer....it has finally arrived. With it, comes our annual pilgrimage to our favorite place....the place where, as we are driving, I physically feel the stress and worries leave my body as we drive, mile by mile, closer. The place that we spend with friends who are quickly becoming more like family to us. The friends who we mesh so well with. We find amusement in the exact same things....the same foods, the same sights, the same people. And the laughing...nonstop....to me, is the most important thing.

Top ten highlights are as follows:

1. Playing games with everyone in the late hours. Even though hubs knows he's going to get slaughtered, he still willingly plays each and every night with us. There is noone else I'd rather have at the sea with me....than he. Yes, I do poetry on the side too....

2. Ken and I introducing everyone to the Kite Festival that we happened to stumble upon last year. It was priceless watching them watch the kites being flow to music, as we already knew how great the show was. It got even better, with each passing day, as the kite festival was the talk of the trip. Yep, I think we've started another annual tradition with them....and yes, in true Lorinda fashion, I am the only one that got sunburned. And who gets sunburned on the Oregon Coast anyway? How embarrassing....

3. Watching Connor, the young man with Epilepsy, who performed on America's Got Talent this season, do a kite routine. I was absolutely touched and honored to watch him perform. Epilepsy is very close to my heart as I have a family member who has struggled with seizures. Connor mentioned, while performing on TV, that flying kites was the one time he wouldn't suffer from seizures. I was so moved by his story and his ability to make the his kite dance.

43. Taking a drive to watch the sunset over the water and walking on the beach. Amy somehow convincing me that it was bad luck to not watch the sun go down completely...once we started watching....thus, the two steps sideways to the right and one step back beach dance came alive. Fun for us...entertaining for others.

5. Heading to the Jetty to watch the Coast Guard Boat hanging in the water. Once we got there, the Coast Guard Helicopter started flying back and forth. In true Wike fashion, we were lucky enough to watch the Coast Guard Chopper hover over the water and practice rescue manuevers in the dark for at least 40 minutes. It was so exciting to watch.....another great topic of conversation for hours. I got some cool pics too!

6. Having spent so much time in Bandon, we are becoming very familiar with some of the stores and employees. I was so excited to walk in and talk to one gal who obviously remembered me...only to have her refer to me as Louise. Seriously, Louise? Do I look like a Louise? It literally took my breath away....I wasn't sure what to do. So, in true Lorinda fashion, I smiled and talked and talked....so flustered by the whole "Louise" situation. I quietly left a few minutes later, feeling somewhat deflated. Again, seriously, Louise? My shopping days in that store may truly be over....well, at least until next summer.

7. Learning the whole "Light a Match" trick after you're done doing your thang in the bathroom. Never knew...but now I do and it's my favorite new trick. SO, when you've come to the Wikes and you see a box of matches sitting on top of the poopster, you know what to do with them and you'd better use them...I'm just saying it makes life a bit more pleasant for all others involved! Wahhooooeeeyyy!!

8. Yoo Hoo! For those of you who truly know me, you know this is my signature "Hello," mostly from the window of a moving car. I get waves, I get strange looks, but mostly I get this strange celebrity satisfaction....I luv it a lot!

9. Gobs of Seafood...fresh seafood...seafood, seafood, seafood. I'm no stranger to fresh seafood. It absolutely is one of my favorite foods. As most know, I have this massive fear of gristle and viens in most meats. I've never found either in seafood and love the fact that I can eat it without having to disect it first. Seafood, it's whats for dinner!!!

10. Bandon-By-the-Sea, Oregon....my favorite place to be. I think everyone should have to experience this little coastal town. We now know lots of local spots, most of which I'll share with you if you kindly ask. I know where the good shopping is. I know the best seafood eats. I know the best beaches. I know the best entertainment. But mostly, I know how to have a good time here....Hubs and friends are all that are needed. Oh, and a reliable vehicle to get you down to the beach or jetty.....for a good walk and sunset. That's what it's all about.

Yes, Bandon, Oregon...It should be a requirement for everyone before they die. The place is absolutely beautiful.

No comments: