Sunday, July 13, 2008

Days of Summer....

The summer to do list is going to have to wait. There are more pressing things to talk about right now.

DH and I just returned from a fun filled 10 day trip to Bandon-By-Sea, Oregon. The sun was out EVERY single day--which we all know is a big WOW on the Oregon Coast. The wind was also out in full force. However, we were able to spend some much needed time together, walk the beach, go for adventurous drives, critique restaurants, and Shop. The last being my favorite!!!!

I think this is the one place we truly look forward to going to each year. It is a place without TV, landline phones, etc. The world seems to go on but we have no idea when or how. It is very relaxing and kind of brings us back to the place we need to be.

Several people in my life (one way or another) have passed away in the past few days. A guy I went to school with was killed (beaten for money after he left a bar) who was only 40 years old. I hope his family is holding up ok and I know the days ahead will be long and painful. I am sure there will be a trial and I can't imagine the pain that will dredge up as well. My heart is with them all.

A few weeks ago, DH and I went to Boise to watch my little brother participate in Special Olympics. For him, this is one of the things that makes life worth living. His self confidence is amazing and he is so proud of himself. We really felt like we needed to support him and when he asked if we were coming, there was no way I could not go.

The olympics were held in a new, state of the art YMCA Facility that blew my socks off. There were several different pools for the participants to swim in, according to their levels and races. As we were all gathered, waiting for the swim walk that Bear was going to participate in, he introduced me to a fellow olympian named Steve. In talking with Steve, we both realized that I had gone to school with his sister-in-law. After that, there was bond between us. He zoned in on that and talked to me every second he could. His mind was amazing, as he could remember everything--dates, names, etc. He and Bear had to race against each other and as the race ended, Bear turned around, waited for Steve and high fived him.

This is why I love them! No matter who wins, no matter who fails, they are there for each other! It didn't matter who won, they were both so incredibly proud of themselves and each other. As they exited the pool, they put their arms around each other and told each other what a great job the other had done in their own language. I have a picture to prove it!

I admit, I got teary eyed watching it and realized then that they aren't the one with "problems"--we are. They have it all figured out. We don't. They know the right way to live. They know the right things to say. And they do it without hesitation. I was amazed at the lessons I learned by watching these olympians, these heroes. I realized that life should be seen as they see it. Our view is way too clouded. Way too junked up. Their view is as clear as can be.

After their races, we all went outside for the medal ceremony. I was so in awe, I could not even speak. I stood in amazement and watched every single olympian, whether they had won or not, absolutely grin from ear to ear at their medal and even bigger at each of their opponent's medals. I watched them help each other up to the podium and help each other down. I watched them cheer louder for their competitors than themselves. I watched them look at their competitors medals, and when realizing they were on backwards, gently lift it off and place it on correctly. I realized I am absolutely in love with Bear and so thankful that he is a part of our lives. I realized all the lessons I was being taught that day....

Fast forward to tonight. I was checking the news, etc. on the computer and decided to check in on my old hometown newspaper. Much to my shock, I had to see and read Steve's obituary. Only a couple of weeks ago he was so full of life and never in a million years would dream that I was going to be reading his obit. My heart sank. My eyes watered and I struggled to try and figure out why I was feeling so distraught. I realized my pain was for Bear. I realized that this will be devastating for him. I realized that I will feel a connection to this story when he tells me about Steve passing, about how he will miss him because he was his best friend, and about how he is sad. I realized I am sad too. Steve, thank you for everything you taught me that Sat. morning. You taught me more than you will ever know.

After getting over that shock, I looked down and saw one more name in the obituaries. Barbara and I worked together at OHS as Special Education Assistants. She was much older than me, almost like a grandmother figure. She was a very beautiful, opinionated, and overly organized woman who absolutely loved the children she worked with. Every day she came to school looking so pretty and put together and ready to go. I always admired that about her.

Several years after I left, she started working with my Mom at school. My mom talked about her and kept her informed about what I was doing. When DH and I got married, Barbara was unable to come to our reception due to having surgery, but sent us a very nice waffle iron. It has been used a lot and I always think of her when I use it. It was one of those gifts that I was so touched by as I was not expecting to hear from her and was so surprised when Mom gave it to me.

Anyway, I know that she had been struggling with some health issues over the years and only hope that she wasn't suffering much before she passed away. I hope that someone was with her to hold her hand and tell her they loved her. I am not sure she heard that a lot. I hope that she didn't die alone. I hope she can read this and know that her friendship really meant a lot to me. When there were some big issues going on at the school, she was one of the few that was able to help me through it. I hope she knows how thankful I was for her at that time.

Barbara, even though I hadn't talked to you in a long time, I missed you and love you and hope that you are now running without pain and playing with your puppies. Til we meet again....

1 comment:

Special Olympics Oregon said...

Hi, I'm a new reader and also the communications director for Special Olympics Oregon. Your post on Bear's performance was quite powerful. Would you be comfortable with me sharing it with others, either by directing them to your site or by copying and pasting just that portion of your post in our blog? Our URL is www.soor.org.
Thanks! Dan Cook 503-248-0600, ext. 23