Sunday, July 20, 2008

Love...it's a beautiful thing!

Last night we attended a wedding of one of DH's former advisement students. This class had an amazing group of young men that DH became extremely close to and has stayed in contact with. This was one of the first ones to take the plunge.

This wedding was held on a ranch a few miles out of town. I had been out there once before when DH and I were dating. I really had no idea what to expect until I got out there and realized this event was going to be a lot grander than I was picturing. We got out there a bit early and were able to park by the barns but most people had to park in the back 40, in hay fields, and then hop on a hay wagon pulled by a four wheeler. Since we parked closer to the event, we had to track through dirt and mud to get to the wedding site. After all, we were on a ranch!

The wedding took place in a big open grassy field area, overlooking a little pond and the mountains. It was absolutely beautiful! Trees and flowers were everywhere and the temperature was perfect--in the mid 80's. It is still very smoky here so there weren't blue skies but that didn't take away from the calm, peaceful feeling you got there.

After the wedding, we all grabbed our chairs and headed up the road , past the port-a-potties, to the covered hay barn where they had set up tables and the catered food wagons were waiting to serve us. The food was amazing, with free flowing beer, wine, champagne, bottled water, etc. The company was great too! It seems like funerals and weddings are great places to reconnect with people--too bad we can't find more everyday time to be with the people we got to see.

When I say that this is the biggest wedding I have ever been to, I am in no way exaggerating! There were about 400 people there, a lot of them wealthy ranchers and farmers from the outlying areas. I always joke with my husband regarding social events in this area. There is no set dress code. There will always be people in shorts, jeans, dress casual, formal, or "other" attire which means that you will fit in, no matter what you wear. Strangely, several times I have worn a dress to a wedding or funeral and felt very over dressed. It's weird.

Anyway, it got me thinking about our wedding six years ago. A huge, social event was the last thing on my mind. We were both older--30's--and very established in our homes. We really didn't need much to set up house. So, for us, our wedding was something very intimate and small. DH had also been extremely ill, hospitalized, and near death and for us, the only thing we wanted was to be together...forever....and not have to travel back and forth between CA and OR.

You see, when I have to be in front of a crowd of people, it is not a good thing. My stomach is in knots, I sweat, shake, and my face turns bright red. Never fails that I get diarrhea (Too much info, I know!) and I am a nervous wreck. So, anyway, when DH suggested that we take the next available school vacation and head to Lake Tahoe, I couldn't have loved that man anymore.

When he came up to visit for Valentines Weekend, we went and picked out a ring, got engaged, and planned a wedding ALL IN ONE WEEKEND! Lucky for us, DH happened to be talking to a fellow teacher who was also engaged to get married. She told him about Harvey's in Lake Tahoe and showed him the wedding chapel. It was perfect for us and allowed us to pick and choose the package we wanted and the number of people we wanted attending. Our package allowed 30 people (which was actually more than I would have opted for) and in the end we had 27 plus ourselves there.

Our wedding was beautiful and perfect for us. I am sure our parents would have preferred a church wedding but us becoming husband and wife was what was important, not where it took place. After our ceremony, we had exactly 1/2 hour with the photographer (that's what our package "said") and he amazingly got some very good photos. We then had a couple of hours to hang out before our dinner. I remember so perfectly, walking up to our suite to change clothes so we could head to dinner. I looked at my husband and was so filled with love and peace for this man that I had just said "I do" to. It was such a surreal moment and, honestly one I didn't know if I would ever experience.

Our wedding dinner was held at "The Chart House", a steak and seafood restaurant sitting above Lake Tahoe on the hillside. We were able to reserve the back room which was a beautiful room with floor to ceiling windows facing the lake. We were able to pick out the food selections before hand and they had very nice menu cards placed at each setting. We had several waitresses and waiters who catered to our every demand and they did a great job as well. As we were eating and visiting, we got to watch the sun set over Lake Tahoe. It was absolutely amazing!

I guess my point is, no matter how big or how small, a wedding is a wonderful thing! For us, it was all about us and our day and that is why we chose to celebrate with just a few of our friends and family. For others, hundreds of people complete their wedding day.

This I know---I love the man I married. No matter where, no matter how, I am the happiest woman alive and married to the most perfect man for me. I hope me knows how happy he has made me. Sweetie, I love you!

No comments: